Starting on July 1, 2020, the new PMP® exam will focus on three domains (people, process and business environment) instead of process groups (initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling, and closing).
As part of the people domain, expect to see questions that will emphasize the skills and activities that project managers must perform to effectively manage projects. The process domain will reinforce the technical elements of managing projects. The business environment will highlight the connection between projects and organization strategy.
Questions will not just cover predictive (traditional) project management approaches but adaptive (agile) and hybrid techniques as well. Expect to see roughly 50% predictive and 50% adaptive questions.
Brain Sensei’s materials and practice questions have been updated to align with these new changes.
Once in a while, Brain Sensei partners with other friendly sites to provide you with some helpful information. Check out our write up on the Ganttpro website here as one of the best online project management courses available (also, they don’t get paid by us for this)!
Online Project Management Courses to Consider for Project Managers
As an online course innovator in helping our clients prepare for the Project Management Institute’s (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP)® credential, Brain Sensei is the first and only PMI Registered Education Provider (REP) to use the story of a samurai in ancient Japan to teach project management concepts.
Aligned with our tradition of leading edge innovation, we are also the first training provider to include two important topics as part of our updated Complete PMP® Exam Prep Course (PMBOK® Guide Sixth Edition): Project Management for Sponsors and Stakeholders, and Agile Practice Guide.
Here are the list of updates from the PMBOK® Guide Fifth Edition to the Sixth Edition. The general concepts of process groups and knowledge areas stayed the same.
- Added new modules
- Project Management for Sponsors and Stakeholders
- Agile Practice Guide
- Added new processes
- Manage Project Knowledge as part of Project Integration Management
- Control Resources as part of Project Resource Management
- Implement Risk Responses as part of Project Risk Management
- Renamed knowledge areas
- Project Time Management to Project Schedule Management
- Project Human Resource Management to Project Resource Management
- Renamed processes
- Perform Quality Assurance process to Manage Quality
- Plan Human Resource Management to Plan Resource Management
- Acquire Project Team to Acquire Resources
- Develop Project Team to Develop Team
- Manage Project Team to Manage Team
- Control Communications to Monitor Communications
- Control Risks to Monitor Risks
- Control Stakeholder Engagement to Monitor Stakeholder Engagement
- Moved a process
- Estimate Activity Resources from Project Time Management to Project Resource Management knowledge area
- Removed a process