Are you a certified CompTIA Security Plus professional looking to renew your certification? In this article, we will cover everything you need to know about CompTIA Security Plus renewal, including the requirements, benefits, and tips for a successful renewal process.
Understanding CompTIA Security Plus Certification
The CompTIA Security Plus certification is a highly regarded credential in the cybersecurity industry. It validates the essential knowledge and skills required to secure computer systems, networks, and data. Holding this certification demonstrates your expertise in various security domains, such as network security, threat management, cryptography, and more.
Like other certifications, the CompTIA Security Plus certification requires periodic renewal to ensure professionals stay up to date with the latest security practices and technologies. Let’s dive into the renewal process and explore its requirements.
CompTIA Security Plus Renewal Requirements
To maintain your CompTIA Security Plus certification, you must fulfill certain renewal requirements. Here are the key requirements:
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs): You need to earn a certain number of CEUs to renew your certification. CompTIA provides a list of approved activities that can earn you these units, such as attending security conferences, completing relevant training courses, publishing security-related articles, and participating in industry events.
- Renewal Timeframe: CompTIA Security Plus certification is valid for three years. You must complete the renewal process before your certification expires to keep it active.
By meeting the renewal requirements, you not only keep your certification active but also demonstrate your commitment to ongoing professional development in the field of cybersecurity.
Benefits of CompTIA Security Plus Renewal
Renewing your CompTIA Security Plus certification offers several benefits:
- Industry Relevance: Cybersecurity is a rapidly evolving field, and staying up to date with the latest trends and technologies is crucial. Renewing your certification ensures that you remain relevant and knowledgeable.
- Career Advancement: Many job roles in cybersecurity require a current and valid CompTIA Security Plus certification. Renewing your certification enhances your job prospects and opens doors to new career opportunities.
- Professional Network: Engaging in activities to earn CEUs allows you to connect with other professionals in the field. Building a strong professional network can lead to collaborative opportunities and valuable connections.
- Personal Growth: Renewal activities, such as attending conferences and completing training courses, provide opportunities for continuous learning and skill development. These experiences contribute to your personal and professional growth.
Tips for a Successful CompTIA Security Plus Renewal
Follow these tips to ensure a smooth and successful renewal process:
- Plan Ahead: Be aware of your certification expiration date and start planning for the renewal process well in advance. This will give you ample time to complete the necessary activities and gather the required documentation.
- Choose Relevant Activities: Select CEU-earning activities that align with your professional goals and interests. This will make the renewal process more engaging and enjoyable.
- Keep Track of Activities: Maintain a record of the activities you undertake to earn CEUs. This will help you stay organized and provide evidence during the renewal process.
- Stay Informed: Stay updated with the latest developments in the field of cybersecurity by regularly following industry news, subscribing to relevant blogs, and participating in online communities.
- Network with Peers: Engage with other professionals in the cybersecurity community. Attend conferences, join forums, and participate in discussions to expand your professional network.
3 Steps to CompTIA Security Plus Renewal
So you’re coming up to the end of your three years and you want to renew Security Plus certification for the next three years. Fortunately, you’ll find the three steps for Security Plus renewal easier than the process of studying for the CompTIA Security Plus exam. Here are the three steps you’ll need to follow:
#1: Earn Your 50 Continuing Education Units (CEU)
First and foremost, you’ll need to earn 50 Continuing Education Units (CEU). Each unit equals one hour of activity, which is why you’ll sometimes hear people refer to it as 50 Continuing Education Hours. Some of the qualifying activities that will earn you CEUs include:
Training or Higher Education
Whether this is going back to college and earning a degree or taking part in a short training course, you can use these learning opportunities to gain your 50 CEU. You might take a self-paced course online, enjoy classroom training, or a remote class from a live instructor. You might also attend a conference for IT professionals or attend a live webinar. However, it’s important to keep in mind that you can only earn so many CEUs from each of these activities. CompTIA limits the amount that can be earned in each category, as shown below:
Complete a course – 50 CEU limit
Attend a conference – 10 CEU limit
Attend a webinar – 10 CEU limit
Attend a college course – 50 CEU limit
Attend an American Council of Education (ACE) course – 50 CEU limit
In order to be eligible, however, at least 50% of the content of the training or course must be relevant to the Security Plus exam and certification. There are a number of training courses that can help you with this, such as an IT Service Management Certification course, an Agile Scrum Certification course, a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt course, and — especially for project managers who work in IT — a Microsoft Project course. These courses will typically equip you with the credits you need to renew Security Plus.
#2: Pay the Security Plus Renewal Fee
Once you’ve earned your CEUs, you will need to pay the Security Plus renewal fee. The exception for this is when you’re renewing the Security Plus certification by earning another, higher level certification. If you do so, you will only need to pay the fee for the new certification. If not, the fee for Security Plus renewal is $150.
#3: Submit Your CEUs for Security Plus Renewal
Once you’ve paid your renewal fee, you must submit your earned CEUs. This will keep your Security Plus certification valid for the next three years.
Sign-up for a 7-day free trial! Try the first two modules of Brain Sensei’s story-based PMP and CAPM Exam Prep courses and a mini practice exam and see how it all works
Sign-up for a 7-day free trial!
Try the first two modules of Brain Sensei’s story-based PMP and CAPM Exam Prep courses and a mini practice exam and see how it all works
Renewing your CompTIA Security Plus certification is essential to maintain your professional standing in the cybersecurity industry. By fulfilling the renewal requirements and actively engaging in continuous learning, you demonstrate your commitment to excellence and stay ahead in this dynamic field. Start planning for your renewal today and reap the benefits of an active and relevant certification.
Have you led projects and are looking to earn a project management certification? You might be interested in learning about how lucrative this can be. Check out these articles.
No experience leading projects but still want to get into project management? No problem! Check out these articles.