CAPM Training videos can indeed be highly effective resources for CAPM (Certified Associate in Project Management) certification preparation.
Today, there are various learning materials available. These include guidebooks, podcasts, and blogs which you can find online and offline. But, of all these learning tools, training videos offer a unique approach to learning.
By incorporating training videos into your CAPM certification preparation, you can benefit from a dynamic and engaging learning experience that enhances your understanding of project management principles and increases your chances of success in the CAPM exam.
Let’s explore how training videos can help you in your journey toward obtaining the CAPM certification.
CAPM: A stepping stone in project management
The Project Management Institute (PMI) is indeed recognized as the leading global authority for project management certifications. The CAPM (Certified Associate in Project Management) certification serves as an important milestone for individuals starting their careers in project management.
The CAPM certification is designed for individuals with limited project management experience or those aspiring to enter the field. It provides a solid foundation of project management knowledge and demonstrates your commitment to professional development.
The CAPM exam content is based on the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) guide. Studying the PMBOK guide will familiarize you with project management concepts, processes, and terminology, which are essential for the CAPM exam.
If you want to become a Project Management Professional(PMP), then you need to pass successfully the CAPM exam. It will open up to you great opportunities for career advancement as many companies are seeking employees with qualified certifications.
Understanding the CAPM certification requirements
The CAPM certification is designed to be accessible to individuals with limited or no prior project management experience.
Here are some key points regarding the eligibility criteria for the CAPM certification:
- No Work Experience Requirement: Unlike the PMP (Project Management Professional) certification, the CAPM certification does not have a work experience requirement.
- Entry-Level Certification: The CAPM certification is often considered an entry-level certification in project management. It is designed to validate foundational knowledge and understanding of project management principles, processes, and terminology.
- Suitable for Newcomers and Career Changers: The CAPM certification is particularly suitable for newcomers to the field of project management, recent high school or college graduates, and individuals who are seeking a career change.
- This makes it an ideal choice for newcomers, recent high school graduates, and career changers who recognize the growth potential in this field.
- Growth Potential: The field of project management offers significant growth potential, and obtaining the CAPM certification can be a valuable step toward getting into these opportunities.
- Complements Practical Experience: While the CAPM certification does not require work experience, it is important to note that practical project management experience is highly beneficial.
To be eligible for the CAPM examination, you need to fulfill the following requirements:
- Hold a secondary degree, such as a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Complete 23 hours of project management education.
The 23 hours of project management education(contact hours) can be acquired through different training programs.
Many of these programs offer more than the required 23 hours, which can be beneficial for your overall professional development.
Moreover, these contact hours never expire, and you can use them for other certifications like SCRUM, Agile, or even PMP in the future.
While training programs provide foundational knowledge and familiarize you with the PMBOK, additional study materials are essential.
This is where studying CAPM training videos come into play, offering unique advantages and benefits.
The benefits of studying CAPM training videos
Training videos offer numerous benefits for individuals studying to become certified CAPM.
Here are some advantages of using training videos for CAPM preparation:
- Self-Paced Learning: Training videos provide offline learning modules that enable self-paced learning. This is particularly beneficial for individuals who are working or have other commitments, as it allows them to manage their study time according to their availability and convenience.
- Targeted Focus: Training videos allow you to focus on specific knowledge areas or processes that you find challenging. You can revisit and review specific topics to gain a better understanding and improve your knowledge and skills in those areas.
- Comprehensive Learning Experience: CAPM training videos utilize various learning styles, including visual, verbal, and solitary learning. They incorporate diagrams, presentations, and professional presenters to provide a comprehensive learning experience that caters to different learning preferences and enhances understanding and retention of the material.
- Flexibility and Convenience: One of the key advantages of training videos is the flexibility they offer. You can access the videos at your convenience, allowing you to study anytime and anywhere. This flexibility is especially beneficial for individuals with busy schedules or those who prefer to study at their own pace.
- Visual Learning: Training videos provide a visual learning experience that engages multiple senses. Visual content such as diagrams, charts, and animations can enhance understanding and retention of complex project management concepts and processes.
- Supplemental Resources: Training videos often come with additional resources such as practice quizzes, supplemental materials, and reference guides, which further enhance your learning and provide opportunities for reinforcement and self-assessment.
It’s important to note that while training videos offer many benefits, they should be used in conjunction with other study materials such as the CAPM exam guide, practice exams, and study notes. Additionally, ensure that the training videos you choose are from reputable sources and align with the CAPM exam content outline.
By incorporating training videos into your CAPM preparation, you can leverage their flexibility, targeted focus, and comprehensive learning experience to enhance your understanding of project management concepts and increase your chances of success in the CAPM exam.
The CAPM exam
The CAPM exam consists of 150 multiple-choice questions to be completed within a three-hour time frame. Currently, the exam can be taken online or at a Pearson Vue Center.
After obtaining your certificate of completion for the contact hours, you have one year to take the exam. You can take the exam up to three attempts with a fee for every take.
The exam covers the ten knowledge areas and five process groups outlined in the PMBOK. A good training video should cover these topics comprehensively.
For instance, consider Brain Sensei’s CAPM Exam Prep Course, which offers convenient streaming of CAPM training videos through Spotify and Apple podcast apps.
The course includes “4 practice exams with 600 practice questions to ensure no stone is left unturned.”
Studying related areas such as Lean, Agile, Scrum, and Six Sigma is also beneficial. These are also important areas to study and many courses include these topics in their study.
When selecting CAPM training videos beyond your core curriculum, ensure they offer the following:
- PMBOK key concepts through exam-oriented format. It includes the ten project management knowledge areas and the five process groups, which collectively contain the 47 processes of project management.
- Math-related videos that align with the CAPM study guide’s requirements.
- Tips and tricks, to enhance understanding and retention of the processes.
- Connections between knowledge areas and processes.
To summarize, training videos play a crucial role in CAPM exam preparation by providing practical guidance, real-life examples, practice questions, and flexibility in learning.
They are valuable resources that empower you to approach the exam with confidence, ensuring that you can effectively answer all questions within the allotted time.
Choosing the best CAPM training provider
It is not only important to choose the best training videos for studying and learning but also to find a reputable CAPM training provider.
When selecting the right training provider, consider courses that meet the following criteria:
- Knowledgeable Instructors: Look for courses led by experienced instructors with expertise in the field.
- PMI Approval: Ensure that the training provider is officially approved by the Project Management Institute.
- Positive Feedback and Testimonials: Read reviews and testimonials online and offline to assess the quality of the courses.
- Fulfill Contact Hours Requirement: Verify that the training program satisfies the minimum 23 contact hours and provides a certificate of completion.
- Transparent Pricing: Choose companies that disclose their pricing structure and provide upfront information.
Research and discover more about the expert instructors. Seek recommendations from coworkers, past students, and employers to help you select the most reputable training provider.
Finally, an excellent CAPM course provider should ideally meet the following criteria:
- Comply with the minimum 23 contact hours requirement and provide a certificate of completion.
- Offer well-structured content and materials.
- Provide real-life examples and sample questions.
- Receive positive feedback and reviews.
The PMI membership advantages
Joining PMI as a member before scheduling your CAPM exam can provide several advantages.
- Discounted Exam Fee: As a PMI member, you are eligible for a discounted CAPM exam fee. The reduced fee of $225 (compared to $300 for non-members) can help you save money when pursuing your certification.
- Student Membership: PMI offers a special reduced rate of only $32 annually for students. This provides an affordable option for students who are interested in becoming a member and accessing the benefits of PMI membership.
- Global Community: PMI membership connects you to a global community of certified project managers. Networking opportunities, online forums, and local chapters allow you to interact with professionals in the field, share knowledge, and collaborate on projects.
- Industry Updates and Resources: PMI provides access to a wealth of resources, including research reports, publications, webinars, and industry-leading frameworks like the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) guide.
- Professional Development Opportunities: PMI offers various professional development opportunities, such as workshops, seminars, and conferences. These events provide a platform to enhance your skills, expand your knowledge, and earn Professional Development Units (PDUs) to maintain your certification.
- Career Advancement: Being a member of PMI demonstrates your commitment to the project management profession and can enhance your credibility in the eyes of employers. It may open doors to new career opportunities, collaborations, and mentorship relationships.
When considering PMI membership, it’s important to evaluate the specific benefits that align with your professional goals and needs. Membership fees and benefits may vary depending on your location and membership type. It’s recommended to visit the official PMI website to explore membership options and determine which membership level is most suitable for you.
By joining PMI as a member, you not only enjoy financial benefits such as discounted exam fees but also gain access to a global community of project management professionals, valuable resources, and opportunities for professional development and career advancement.
Taking the CAPM exam
Finally, after studying all the CAPM training videos and training courses, it’s time to put your knowledge to the test and take the exam.
The PMI has established specific question distribution standards for the exam, as follows:
- Introduction to Project Management: 6%
- Project Environment: 6%
- Role of the Project Manager: 7%
- Project Integration Management: 9%
- Project Scope Management: 9%
- Project Schedule Management: 9%
- Project Cost Management: 8%
- Project Quality Management: 7%
- Project Resource Management: 8%
- Project Communication Management: 10%
- Project Risk Management: 8%
- Project Procurement Management: 4%
- Project Stakeholder Management: 9%
A passing grade for the exam is generally considered to be above 70%, which grants you the CAPM certification. Remember, if needed, you can take the exam up to three times within a year after submitting your initial application.
CAPM training videos play a crucial role in guiding self-paced learning programs and helping you pass the exam.
Mostly, becoming a certified CAPM professional not only increases your salary but also opens up numerous career opportunities in project management.
Thus, make sure to pass the CAPM exam. Start now and live your success in project management.
Try the first two modules of Brain Sensei’s story-based PMP and CAPM Exam Prep courses and a mini practice exam and see how it all works
Read more of our articles here:
No experience in project management but you are interested to get this PMP certification?
Check out these articles:
CAPM Certification Eligibility
What is a Certified Project Manager; How do I get PM Certifications?
Are you a project manager leader and aim to earn project management certification?
Check the following articles to explore the lucrative potential of this achievement:
Should You Become PMP Certified? – Here’s Why Becoming A Certified Project Management Professional Can Boost Your Career
13 PMP Benefits Once You Get The PMP Certification