If you’re looking to dive into the field of Project Management without previous experience, A CAPM Certification might be the way to do it. A CAPM shows your employer that you have a thorough knowledge of the methods and principles that are defined by the PMBOK® Guide and all the standard Project Management practices recognized internationally. Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) Certification is proof of an entry-level candidate’s education, background, and competence. It enables you to manage large and more complicated projects, for example, laying of cable networks in hard-to-reach areas of the country. CAPM-certified professionals apply for such jobs as Junior Project Manager, Project Coordinator, IT Project Coordinator, Business Specialist, PMO Specialist, Service Project Manager, etc.
What can САРМ certification holders do?
- Understand the task as the customer understands it. To get into the clients’ skin and look at the project through their eyes.
- Plan stages and divide resources. To split a complex project into simple parts that are easy to implement separately. To look far ahead, not forgetting about the next step.
- Assess the situation, to ensure a team and a customer. Specialists can plan the project flow and bear in mind the volume of work and costs for its implementation. To be constantly ready for various contingencies.
A Successful Project manager completes projects on time and within budget. If you show CAPM certification holders’ skills in practice, employers begin to entrust you with more complex projects and tasks, and negotiating with demanding clients. Your main challenge as a project manager is to improve teamwork efficiency. And at the same time, it is crucial to be competitive. CAPM certification gives you all the necessary skills to build a career as a project manager. You have to create a compelling CV.
How to draw up a resume
First, you need to choose a good photo for your CV. It is essential to make a first impression. So take a picture of yourself in a smart suit in the studio if you don’t have one.
The second thing is your critical skills. Don’t write something like “stress resistance” or “sociability.” Write only skills that are directly relevant to the job you’re applying for. For example, risk management, negotiating, budgeting, abiding by the project terms, SMART target setting, etc. As a CAPM Certification holder, you possess all these skills.
Next is the part where you talk about yourself and your personality traits. The best approach to do this is to Give examples from your work experience. If you want to write “I can be in charge,” you can prove it by telling an illustrative story. Keep it short and simple.
Of course, you need to include the information about your education in your CV. Emphasize the CAPM certificate and the other courses you have taken. Briefly describe what competencies these certificates and courses give you.
The last part is work experience. Focus solely on your job background. Write concisely and clearly. For example, what projects have you worked on and when? What were your duties? What results did you have on the project?
Questions you should be ready for at a job interview
An interview is a crucial step to getting a job. You need to prepare carefully for it. And you should know that the questions are likely to be something like this:
- How do you assess the project challenges? How to conduct such an assessment?
- What project management techniques do you know?
- Take us through the steps for initiating a project.
- Tell us about an experience with conflict in a working situation. How did you resolve the conflict?
- The client hasn’t liked the result of your team’s work. What will you do?
- What is a version control system?
- And what does “project management triangle” mean?
- You are past a project’s What will you do?
- You are hiring a project manager. How would you evaluate the result of their work?
Of course, the questions may be different. But if you understand the basic knowledge and logic of the process, you will find an opportunity to answer even the trickiest questions. The main thing is to be self-assured. If you got invited to an interview, it points to your professional competencies as a project manager.
The CAPM certification, issued by a world-renowned organization such as PMI, is undoubtedly a career growth incentive. It shows your potential employer initiative, competence and ability to handle the duties of a Project Manager. Want to make sure you pass your CAPM exam? Take an inexpensive self-paced CAPM exam prep course with a pass guarantee for the actual exam as well as giving you the required 23 education hours needed by the PMI. Brain Sensei’s CAPM Exam Prep Course (Self-Paced)